Permanent - NICU Patient Care Manager - California
Palo Alto, California 68154 | Permanent
The Nurse Manager is a Registered Nurse who provides unit leadership and works in partnership with nursing, the healthcare team, hospital/system leaders to develop a quality practice setting that support professional nursing and quality patient care. The Nurse Manager is accountable for the effective delivery of competent, compassionate, and efficient patient care on a 24-hours a day, seven days a week basis. Responsibilities include coordination of patient care; supervision of a professional team that includes multiple nursing and other staff as appropriate; administrative and budget management; troubleshooting of problem areas; organizational change management; ensuring compliance with accreditation and regulatory standards; quality assurance/quality improvement; safety and risk management requirements as well as actualization of hospital and unit policies, goals and objectives. Further, improving unit operations, enhancing communication and feedback, customizing education and staff roles, and accepting organizational accountability for services provided to recipients are critical outcomes expected of this role. The Nurse Manager role is critical to hospital operations and minimally accomplishes the following essential duties.
• Clinical Practice: Ensures the effective delivery of competent, compassionate, and efficient patient care by planning, organizing, and directing the nursing services of unit(s), including the assessment of patients, implementation of physicians' orders, treatment plans and medical procedures, administration of medication and record keeping of same as well as by monitoring and evaluating patient care processes and outcomes for the patient care unit(s); coordinates nursing activities with those of other services or disciplines. Demonstrates clinical competency in assigned specialty area role models nursing practice consistent with the organizational and department mission, vision and values.
• Communication: Communicates in a clear and effective manner to enhance team effectiveness, manage conflicts, engage employees and interdisciplinary colleagues in unit activities and performance changes. Collaborates with others within the unit and with all hospital departments and disciplines to enhance problem solving, decision making and performance improvement.
• Fiscal Accountability: Plans and forecasts the department budget by calculating required FTES, planning annual budgets, interpreting payroll and other key fiscal reports, projecting workload as well as monitoring and enhancing productivity. Performs variance analysis by interpreting financial performance and identifying key drivers. Identifies unit/capital budget needs in collaboration with physician and nursing colleagues.Plans and implements staff scheduling, position controls and attendance control procedures.
• Human Resources: Directs the personnel management of the employees assigned to the department consistent with state and federal labor laws, collective bargaining agreements, and nursing service and hospital philosophy, goals and policy. Ensures that new staff is interviewed, hired, trained, oriented, precepted and evaluated. Prepares and conducts employee performance appraisals. Approves transfers, promotions and other decisions affecting employee pay and status. Participates in initiating and documenting disciplinary actions and responding to grievances.
• Leadership: Assumes twenty four (24) hour responsibility and accountability for the operation of the assigned patient care unit(s), service(s), staff, and facilities. Plans, organizes and directs short and long term departmental activities in accordance with hospital goals and accrediting organization standards. Provides leadership and direction for the staff in the patient care unit(s) while supporting and actualizing the goals of the department, division, service, and hospital. Functions as a resource to staff and interdisciplinary team members and interdepartmentally, consults on nursing care and professional nursing practice.
• Performance Improvement: Assumes responsibility for accessing and utilizing appropriate date in order to monitor unit operations. Accountable for achieving patient and staff satisfaction targets for the organization and unit of responsibility. Develops, implements and evaluates process improvement projects/process in order to continually monitor and improve patient care.
• Professional Development: Facilitates professional development and clinical growth of nursing staff through implementation and maintenance of unit specific competencies. Promotes and facilitates educational opportunities based on assessment of staff needs.
• Quality Management: Supports the quality framework, which includes both clinical and service quality indicators. Creates an environment of patient care that is safe, effective, patient centered, timely, efficient and equitable.
The Regional NICU nurse manager shall have the responsibility on a 24-hour basis for the organization, management, supervision and quality of nursing practice and nursing care in the NICU.
The Regional NICU nurse manager shall not be a nurse manager of more than one NICU other than at the same contiguous medical building complex.
The Regional NICU medical director and the Regional NICU nurse manager shall have joint responsibility for the development and review of an ongoing quality improvement program.
The Regional NICU medical director and the Regional NICU nurse manager shall have joint responsibility for development and review of a Policies and Procedures Manual for the NICU which addresses, at a minimum, patient admission, patient care, and discharge and transfer criteria.
Regional NICU Nurse Manager shall:
• Direct the nursing administrative operation of the NICU, as per Section 3.25.1/E.3. and shall:
• Be a registered nurse (R.N.) licensed by the State of California holding a master' s degree in nursing; or
• Be a R.N. holding a bachelor' s of science degree in nursing (BSN) and either a master' s degree in a related field or certificate in nursing or health care administration from a nationally recognized accrediting organization; and
• Have at least three years of clinical nursing experience at least one of which shall have been in a facility with an NICU that is equivalent to a Regional or Community NICU.
The responsibilities of the Regional NICU nurse manager shall include, at a minimum, personnel, fiscal and materiel management, and coordination of the quality improvement program for the NICU.
The Regional NICU nurse manager shall directly supervise the nurse supervisor(s) for the NICU.
The facility shall maintain written documentation of the qualifications and responsibilities of the Regional NICU nurse manager.
The Regional NICU nurse manager shall have direct responsibility to the administrative director of nursing or individual holding an equivalent position.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Education: Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited college or university
Experience: Three (3) years of progressively responsible and directly related work experience
License/Certification: CA Registered Nurse (RN)
Compensation: $175, 000 - $210, 000 Annually DOE
Apply Below or Call (917) 546-7214
Born in Queens, New York, Brayan Orzo is a lead RN recruiter at Tact Medical Staffing. Always dressed for success in his stylish suits and ties, his vision to succeed, and his work ethics; all make part of what makes Brayan such an important part of the team. His colleagues and nurses enjoy his company because apart from making them laugh insanely hard, he gives off an energy that makes others find comfort and trustworthiness in him. You can tell him anything and he will always be there to listen, understand, and at times give great advice. Did I mention, he is hilarious! Outside the office, Brayan spends most his time with his beautiful baby girl, who he is very proud of and adores! He enjoys going out and experiencing everything NYC has to offer! Always smiling and purposeful, Brayan Orzo is proud to work with you!